Dedicated to providing comprehensive care for adults with congenital heart diseases
When a person has had a heart problem since birth, they need special, appropriate care. Our adult congenital heart disease specialists have the in-depth understanding and expertise required to provide the right care.
The University of Washington Section of Adult Congenital Heart Disease is one of the largest and busiest programs in the country. The program is a collaboration between the University of Washington and Seattle Children’s Hospital and has regional clinics throughout the state. The unique partnership bridges the gap in care of this specialized patient population, enabling a seamless transition for adolescent patients into adult cardiology care while receiving the same level of expertise.
Our program was one of the first in the country to be designated a Comprehensive Care Center by the Adult Congenital Heart Association and consists of a multi-disciplinary faculty specializing in the care of adults with congenital heart disease.
The University of Washington Adult Congenital Heart Disease section conducts scholarly work in research, education, and training in the field of adult congenital heart disease.
- Utility of Biomarkers in Adult Fontan Patients with Decompensated Heart Failure. Cardiol Young 2020;2:1-7. PMID 32484127
- Nguyen V, Li S, Dolgner S, Steinberg ZL, Buber J.
- What every cardiologist should know about the 2018 updated Adult Congenital Cardiology Guidelines. Curr Cardiol Rep 2020:22:24. PMID 32076876
- Dolgner SJ, Buber Y, Stout KK, Steinberg ZL.
- Association of Race/Ethnicity, Illness Severity, and Mortality in Children Undergoing Cardiac Surgery. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.(2020) DOI: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2020.06.015
- Tjoeng YL, Jenkins, K, Deen JF, Chan T.
- Managing Cardiovascular Disease in the Time of COVID-19, National Indian Health Board, COVID-19 Tribal Resource Center;04/15/2020
- Advance care planning and palliative care in adult congenital heart disease: the healthcare provider’s perspective. Cardiology in the Young. 2020 Feb 14:1-7. doi: 10.1017/S1047951120000219. (PMID: 32054552).
- Steiner JM, Oechslin EN, Veldtman G, et. al.
- Palliative care in cardiology: Knowing our patients’ values and responding to their needs. Heart 2020:1-7. doi: heartjnl-2019-316365. (PMID: 32444500).
- Steiner JM and Kirkpatrick JN.
- Sensitivity and specificity of a machine learning algorithm to identify goals-of-care documentation for adults with congenital heart disease at the end of life. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2020 Jun 26;S0885-3924(20)30559-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2020.06.018. (PMID: 32599151).
- Steiner JM, Morse C, Lee RY, et. al.
- Cardiovascular outcomes of pregnancy in Turner syndrome.
- Grewal J, Valente AM, Egbe AC, Wu FM, Krieger EV, Sybert VP, van Hagen IM, Beauchesne LM, Rodriguez FH, Broberg CS, John A, Bradley EA, Roos-Hesselink JW; AARCC Investigators.Heart. 2020 Jul 15:heartjnl-2020-316719. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2020-316719. Online ahead of print.
- Utility of biomarkers in adult Fontan patients with decompensated heart failure.
- Nguyen VP, Li S, Dolgner SJ, Steinberg ZL, Buber J.Cardiol Young. 2020 Jul;30(7):955-961. doi: 10.1017/S1047951120001250. Epub 2020 Jun 2.
- Tetralogy of Fallot.
Krieger EV, Valente AM.Cardiol Clin. 2020 Aug;38(3):365-377. doi: 10.1016/j.ccl.2020.04.009. Epub 2020 Jun 10.
- Improved Outcomes of Heart Transplantation in Adults With Congenital Heart Disease Receiving Regionalized Care.
Nguyen VP, Dolgner SJ, Dardas TF, Verrier ED, McMullan DM, Krieger EV.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 Dec 10;74(23):2908-2918. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2019.09.062.
- Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants (NOACs) for thromboembolic prevention, are they safe in congenital heart disease? Results of a worldwide study.
- Yang H, Bouma BJ, Dimopoulos K, Khairy P, Ladouceur M, Niwa K, Greutmann M, Schwerzmann M, Egbe A, Scognamiglio G, Budts W, Veldtman G, Opotowsky AR, Broberg CS, Gumbiene L, Meijboom FJ, Rutz T, Post MC, Moe T, Lipczyńska M, Tsai SF, Chakrabarti S, Tobler D, Davidson W, Morissens M, van Dijk A, Buber J, Bouchardy J, Skoglund K, Christersson C, Kronvall T, Konings TC, Alonso-Gonzalez R, Mizuno A, Webb G, Laukyte M, Sieswerda GTJ, Shafer K, Aboulhosn J, Mulder BJM.Int J Cardiol. 2020 Jan 15;299:123-130. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2019.06.014. Epub 2019 Jun 13.
- Heart Failure in Adult Congenital Heart Disease.
- Burchill LJ, Lee MGY, Nguyen VP, Stout KK.Cardiol Clin. 2020 Aug;38(3):457-469. doi: 10.1016/j.ccl.2020.04.010
We have a busy Adult Congenital Heart Disease fellowship. More information about our fellowship can be found here.
Core ACHD Faculty
- Eric Krieger, MD, Director
- Karen Stout, MD, ACHD Program Founder
- Yonatan Buber, MD
- Jason Deen, MD
- Zachary Steinberg, MD
- Jill Steiner, MD, MS
- Elizabeth Bayley, MSN, ARNP
ACHD Heart Falure
- Jilian Angiulo
- Jessica Branco-King, RN
- Ame Dohm, MSN, RN
- Brenda O'Connell, RN
Clinic Administrative Staff
- Cynthia Devine
- William Chong