The MEDECK 603, Clinical Cardiology and Electrophysiology elective and MEDECK 625, Clinical Cardiology Subinternship attracts students planning to enter residencies in many disciplines including internal medicine, surgery, family medicine and anesthesiology. Participants include students at the UW School of Medicine as well as visiting students from across the country. Students work with faculty, fellows and residents to see patients on the consult service at either the University of Washington Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center or the Seattle VA hospital.
- Reading electrocardiograms
- Observing cardiac catheterizations and echocardiograms
- Performing cardiology consults and appropriate follow-up with the Consult Attending
- Observe DC cardioversions, including pre-procedure evaluation and the cardioversion procedure
- Read and study the ACC/AHA guidelines for patient management of common cardiac diagnoses